Saturday, December 13, 2008

To Begin

I've been stewing about creating a blog for awhile now concerning subjects I think about frequently but don't spend the time to write about.

The title of the blog relates to my grandfather; he sent out 'dear folks' letters frequently during the year--probably 5 or so a year, the ubiquitous Xmas letter usually a bit longer than the rest. These were typed on his famous white-out splattered, non-electric typewriter and then xeroxed for friends and family--eventually I'll post a photo of one. I don't think I really appreciated these letters until he was writing them less frequently and then, of course, after he died. The letters always contained family news but also grandpa's thoughts on what he was reading or writing about as a scholar; my grandpa was a philosophy professor. He would also sometimes include some pretty corny things like spoonerisms or word games or quotes from famous writers.

Anthropology is what I've been doing for awhile now in a student mode and more recently in a teaching and writing mode.

As blogs tend to be (as far as I know), this blog will really be about me writing about stuff for my own self-reflection. But, the 'dear folks' and anthropology union brings with them an attempt to make the blogs somewhat more relevant than just meandering thoughts. Hope someone besides myself will eventually enjoy these occasional posts.

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment